Saturday, February 11, 2006

Take Me Away...

"There was a boy...
A very strange
And gentle boy..."

The song gently lilts on, coming from the window above my head as I walk on the street below. It's a cool fall day with a gentle breeze that blows the withered leaves from the branches of the trees. "They aren't dead, only dormant for the winter." Those simple words from my father join with the eerie cadence of the song above which slowly fades as a walk on. The on comers pass me like I'm not there. That's ok, I prefer to go unnoticed, gently slipping by under the radar.

I can't seem to come to any conclusions about what's happened. It seems more like a dream, a nightmare. The sense of fear and impending doom linger, but the real, hard facts fade and melt like the colors of a bloody sunset. Images flash by, but no one is distinguishable from any of the others. I stop.

The car is coming so fast, playing chicken trying to pass a semi. My foot isn't on the accelerator, but the car is moving. We keep speeding up. Faster...Faster...FASTER!...

I'm not in the car any more. It's so bright, and all I hear are the soft mumblings from a forgotten language. Blurs of dark pass across my field of vision. Where am I? I don't understand! Where am I? What happened? Would SOMEONE tell ME what the hell is going on?

"There was a boy...
A very strange
And gentle boy..."

The wind simply picked him up and took him away from me like it takes the precious leaves from the trees. Set adrift in a boat without a paddle. Will he go downstream? Will he be left in the calm center of a hidden lake? Where has he gotten to...

We're playing hide-and-seek. He's hiding, but not so that I can't find him. I see him behind an oak tree. I run to him, but he runs away. Following...following to another tree. Closer to the lake. Ring around the oak tree. Comes up from behind and catches me around the waist. Into the lake, rolling in the mud. Such pleasure...sucked away into the quicksand of life.

I'm left to carry on. Empty. deserted. Alone. Why did you leave me? Why?


Why...

"There was a boy...
A very...strange...
And gentle boy..."

No comments:

Post a Comment