Sunday, February 12, 2006

College Students Need Support, Too!

One of the most wonderful things just happened! I realized just how supportive my parents are. I always knew that they would support me in anything that I do, but I was just never sure how far that support could stretch...

I have dreamt of being a doctor since I was in 8th grade. I guess I have my mom to thank for that. But even before that, I was the girl who would pretend she was a teacher. As a 4th and 5th grader, I would sit in the playroom and teach a classroom of imaginary students. I don't know why I gave up that dream for being a doctor.

I've been having second thoughts for a little while. Nothing too bad. I still want to become a doctor. But there was always that school teacher underneath, trying to poke through and get her way, too. And today, she was given a voice, too.

I was talking to my dad about the Health Science theme housing that I'll hopefully be in next semester. One of the things we have to do is volunteer during our spring semester. I told my dad that I was hoping I would be able to teach/tutor during that time. He said that one of the things I could consider was becoming a teacher because the pre-med.medical background would give me a good base for that. I could become a high school science teacher!

Now, I'm split in half. I'll stay on the pre-med course. I want to be a pediatrician. I want to teach them to not fear coming to a doctor's office. But I also want to be a teacher. That little 5th grader inside of me still lives and thrives, and she won't be silienced any longer. Can I begin as a doctor and become a teacher? Should I get my master's in education in case my medical career falls through? Will I meet someone who supports my decisions like my parents do? Can I be both a teacher and a doctor at the same time?

Yet another issue to keep me thinking through the night...

No comments:

Post a Comment