Monday, October 30, 2017

Days 114-118: Need Slo-Mo

Sometimes I wish there was an option to slow down time or pause everything else put yourself.  I'd get more sleep, study more, read more, write more.  If LOML was unpaused with me, we'd get more time together.  Quality time.  We make quality time for each other, but it never seems to be enough.  I always have something looming over me that needs to be done.  I wish that weren't always the case.  I wish I had time to actually be in the moment, not just tell myself I'm in the moment but really have my mind on other things I need to get done.  One of my mentors in medical school used to say that there is no such thing as work-life balance, it's a matter of what needs more of your focus at any given time.  Some days, work takes precedence.  During medical school, residency, and fellowship, work takes most of the focus.  At some point, the pendulum will swing, and a focus on life outside of work can be at the forefront.  What's really difficult are the times when both need attention at the same time.  That makes it even more stressful because neither receives the full attention they need so either one or the other isn't done to the best that's needed.  It can be frustrating.  Right now, I want to be able to take time away from everything I have to do for work to actually enjoy life.  I know my time is coming, it's just frustrating in this moment.  It helps that I have a very supportive family.

No comments:

Post a Comment