Thursday, October 05, 2017

Day 93: Difference

Today, I was referred to as "awesome" and "a genius" which was preceded by comments of accolade and people wanting to work with me once I finish fellowship.  It is still beyond my comprehension that people really do like working with me and see me as someone worth pursuing for a colleague.  What's even more fascinating is the fact that I don't see myself as doing anything extraordinary.  I feel like what I do is inconsequential.  One of the medical students yesterday, during our debriefing, said that she reminds herself that what is mundane and part of our daily job is usually the most monumental day for the patient and their family that we are caring for.  As a medical student, I remember thinking how different it is that I got to leave the hospital of my will not someone else's.  I worked with two wonderful families who had arrived at the same place by different means.  Both had loved ones who are dying (one more quickly than the other).  Both wanted dignity, respect, and comfort above all else.  One family needed more hand holding and gentle guidance, and will continue to need that.  The other was more certain.  Both had chronic diseases that had slowly been changing their lives.  One had a catastrophic event.  Even though I spent more time with one of the families, both left feeling relieved that someone had heard them, met them where they were, and helped them to the next step in the journey.  I don't know that I could have ever imagined being at this position in life.  I knew I liked to talk.  I never imagined the difference I could make with being able to talk better.  It's very surreal at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment