Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Day 56: Joy

Today, I was shadowing a social worker around town.  We ended at one of the local assisted living homes.  Sitting outside was an older couple in rocking chairs.  I couldn't help smiling from ear to ear because here was a couple that was able to stay together despite needing more assistance in the home.  It doesn't always work out that both people can go to the same place which is tragic in its own right.  I can't imagine getting to a point where LOML and I aren't under the same roof.  At any rate, the husband said, "you look very happy".  I almost started gushing over how happy I was to see them enjoying the afternoon, but thought that would be a little much for a couple I had just laid eyes on.  I opted for saying, "I'm always happy.  No, that's not true.  I'm happy I get to do what I do everyday."  The last part was more true than the previous because I am not happy all the time.  We chatted for a few minutes while I was waiting for the social worker.  It was wonderful.  I was almost giddy.  I don't even know why they made me giddy.  It was something about a sweet older couple for all intents and purposes sitting on their front porch.  Even though it wasn't home and they'd only moved there 3 weeks ago, they were together, enjoying each other's company.  It was sweet in its own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment