Thursday, August 10, 2017

Day 37: Who will I be?

I have finally had the chance to catch up a little on the work I need to do.  I have also decided to give myself a little bit of a break from extra shifts to reset.  Part of this includes doing a soul searching for what I want out of a future career.  I have to keep reminding myself that I will likely continue to grow and change my career throughout my time as a doctor.  What I decide on now does not have to hold strong through the next 40ish years of my career.  I need to have some idea, though, of what I want for the near future in order to start the job search.  I keep worrying that I'm going to cave to what everyone else wants of me.  I realize their thoughts and suggestions come from a place of love and wanting to help me reach my goals.  It's hard, though, to feel like I've changed so much without really letting on to how much I've changed.  Part of this weekend will be writing down what I foresee as the "dream job", what I want my footprint to be in medicine, and what I absolutely do not want to do at this time and which I can compromise on.  I currently have a list of potential places to start looking.  I'm just worried that I want to be able to do too many things or work too many other places.  I don't know if I will be able to have the mix that I want to have.  I can always start with the dream and then whittle down to the next best thing.  I may not be at WF initially, and I may still.  I may come back if I leave initially.  I can go pretty much anywhere I want to in the US to practice, though I will likely stay in NC, SC, or VA.  With that, I will spend some time this weekend (because I will actually have the time to do this) to review places to interview and my vision for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment