Monday, August 14, 2017

Day 41: Violation of Privacy

I feel like I've stepped into the inner circle of the life of someone I know without their permission.  During one of my activities for this week, I was privy to the personal story of a counselor's battle with sobriety.  As the person was telling their story, it suddenly dawned on me that I'm fairly certain I know one of the people in the individual's life.  I felt like I was learning intimate details that I was not supposed to know.  The person that I had known previously never mentioned the counselor.  I feel like I should have signed a waiver or gotten permission before sitting in on the session.  I realize that I had no way of knowing what was going to be said.  There was no way to plan for the events that unfolded.  I didn't even realize, until today, the connection between the two.  Now, I can't unlearn what I know.  There is a heaviness on my soul, like I need to divulge what I've learned and ask for forgiveness for hearing it.  The logical part of me knows that the first person will not be upset for finding out what I've learned, but the irrational part feels like it's walking through a field of landmines with no way of knowing when a misstep will occur.  I could have never imagined finding myself in this situation, and now I'm not entirely sure what, if anything, I should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment