Sunday, December 17, 2017

Days 164-166: Cats and Dogs living together...mass hysteria

Julia and Alex went to the vet yesterday.  I've been at the vets every three weeks since Oct. 14.  I am glad Banfield is open on Saturday and, hands down, has the best staff and veterinarians I've ever encountered.  It has made what can sometimes be a very stressful visit as de-stressed as possible.  Alex has a "hot spot" or "wet dermatitis" which is the cat version of exudative cellulitis in humans except it is sometimes due to self-inflicted wounds.  He got an antibiotic depot and deworming medicine which has left him very cuddly today.  If I am sitting, he's sleeping on me.  It's been a blissfully relaxed day.  I love getting to just "be" with my animals.  

Julia had an X-ray that showed moderate asthma which was not surprising, but was otherwise clear.  We are continuing with regular dosing of her inhalers.  She otherwise looked much better than she did at her last visit.  She should be able to undergo a teeth cleaning in about 6 months and get microchipped at the same time.  Hopefully by the end of the year, we should have all the animals microchipped and registered on PetLink.

I am very thankful to be able to provide for my animal babies.  They have a roof over their heads, heat, good food, and fresh water.  I could not imagine life without them.  I can't understand the people who throw animals away like they're objects that aren't any good if they don't behave the way people think they should.  Chewy, my first cat, was tossed aside when his owner's wife didn't want to take care of him anymore at the age of 10, despite the fact that they'd bought him as a kitten and moved him from Flordia to Winston.  Boris was surrendered when his family didn't want to deal with his dietary issues.  Odie was left for dead in his crate because his owner just didn't want to take care of him anymore.  And Alex was thrown on the side of the road and left to fend for himself.  Each of our babies was rejected by other people, and I love them all dearly.  They are wonderfully perfect in each of their own ways.  I love my life with them in it.  There's no other way I'd want to live than surrounded by sweet animals.  I'd give my love to all the unloved animals out there, but my house and paycheck are not big enough.  So I will love the little creatures I do have right now with LOML on our little island of misfits who all found each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment