Sunday, December 10, 2017

Days 158-159: The Tree-Cat

As some of you may know, I moved in to LOML's "bachelor pad" in March of this year.  It's a quaint little cottage that really does not have any space for a full size Christmas tree.  Plus, with the discovery of Alex the kitten jumping out of a tree to us in October, I figured a full size tree would be his next big adventure.  So LOML and I found a little 3 foot tree that could be placed on one of the bookshelves.  Seemed safe enough.  Alex couldn't climb all the way into it.  Plus, we secured it to the bookshelf, so all would be just fine, right? Wrong... So very wrong.  Alex has been trying to get into the tree since we put it up after Thanksgiving.  He had pulled ornaments off of it regularly.  Finally, tonight, he figured out how to pull it off the shelf entirely.  Thankfully, all the ornaments are plastic so no shards of broken ornaments in anyone's toes.  I also realized that Alex was getting these sores on his neck.  At first, I thought they were from him rough housing with the other cats, but none of them seemed to actually use their teeth or claws on each other.  Plus, there were never any visible puncture wounds.  When I thought the spots would start to heal, they seemed to worsen.  It dawned on me today that he was likely getting them from rubbing up against the rough ends of the fake Christmas tree branches, and getting superficial wounds.  Needless to say, the tree is out where he can't get to it anymore.  Fortunately, I have multi-colored lights around many of the windows where I can see them, and enjoy them.  I have a Christmas Bob the Minion statue that has replaced the Christmas Tree, and will likely remain our "Christmas Tree" for a long time.  Will have to start thinking of a new tradition since trees are out with our early tree-cat this year.  Who'd of thought we would be worrying about a cat-proof Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment