Friday, November 17, 2017

Days 129-136: A Week of Silence

It has been busy since my last post.  I picked out the new dress for my matron of honor, saw a musical (Company), sat for the geriatric boards, set up another interview (at Wake!), and became a psych resident (unintentionally).  Oh, and ordered tickets for the Nutcracker!

The musical, Company, was dark.  LOML referred to them as caricatures of married life.  The couple where the wife was on a diet and the husband sober but started fighting to show discourse.  Then there was the couple that seemed so happy but were getting divorced only to be more in love once divorced, literally staying in the same apartment "for the kids".  There was the bride who panicked, got mad at her fiance, told him she didn't want to marry him, had the best man propose to her, and she decided he was silly and she needed to go find her fiance who was a "good man".  There is the "loose man" and "uptight woman" couple where the typical gender roles are maintained right down to the wife's "purpose" being to make the husband a sandwich after smoking weed.  Finally, there was the woman who was on her third husband and only marrying for the money.  She is  truly the most cynical.  The girls the main character dates are also all stereotypical.  The good girl who ends up with a different guy, the ditsy flight attendant, the bad girl.  Each fits a typical mold.  The entire premise is that marriage is a trap that is a constant love-hate relationship with the person you are marrying.  While I realize that marriage is ugly and messy sometimes, it didn't come across that any of the couples in the show actually loved each other.  The main character, who was a single guy, only seemed to want to get married because it "seemed like the time to do it".  I usually enjoy musicals, but while the actual music was beautiful, the overarching story did not hit the mark for me.

As for the psychiatry thing, I am shadowing one of the geriatric psychiatrist who has me doing notes.  Fortunately, the physician I'm with does most of the orders and tells me what he wants me to write.  So really, I'm less of a psych resident and more of a note lackey.  Only a few more days and then a four day weekend for Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment