Monday, April 01, 2013

Blue Ridge Mountain Man


You twist the sheets in your hands,
Smiling at me;
Your voice is garbled.
Your daughter says
Dementia,
Congestive heart failure,
The diseases slowly taking you.

Then she tells me your life.
A strong man;
You helped create the Blue Ridge Parkway,
The serpentine road carved
Into the Appalachian Mountains.
The mountains,
Larger versions of the creases in your sheets
Where you are trying to rebuild that road.

And I wonder if the view you saw,
Many years ago,
On a crude road of gravel,
Is the same as I see today
When I drive the smooth paved road.
Was the sun more brilliant
Bouncing off the mountain faces?
Were the mountains more blue
In the fading light
At the end of a long day?

Can you show me
What you see now
From those many years ago
As you rebuild the path
Through the wilderness
In the sheets surrounding you?

No comments:

Post a Comment